9.13.2006

Metadata Monster

When I drive home from my digital libraries class, I tend to have the kind of passionately nerdy revelations that only another librarian could appreciate. While pondering my final project, for which I've only briefly thought about the metadata (I'm concentrating on my wishlist of artifacts first), I hit one of those "eureka!" moments. In addition to the "anecdote" element for each item (which will act as a more specific "notes" field), I'll have a "generation" element. It will work in tandem with the DC "coverage" element, but will enable me to specify not only the era of the object's origin (coverage) but also the generation that made/owned it (generation). In the case of one family quilt, of which each square was sewn by a different woman, I'd need the element to be repeatable, of course.

Unrelated Banter:

No comments: