9.12.2006

Not "Just" a Librarian

To the posts of the last few months regarding what exactly the term "librarian" means and what it takes to be earned, I add my own anecdote.

While out of town visiting family, a relative asked, a bit skeptically, what it was that I did in my job. Before I could say anything, Alex (my champion) rushed in, firing out that I manage digital collections and make records and research and give presentations and and and...

My relative brightened a bit, and said, "Oh! Well that's good, I had no idea you were doing all of that. I thought you were wasting your education, being just a librarian. I didn't know you did all those other jobs, too."

I kept my mouth shut about the two master's degrees required/recommended as an academic librarian. There's enough familial conflict in the world, right?

No comments: